Bits of Learning

Learning sometimes happens in big jumps, but mostly in little tiny steps. I share my baby steps of learning here, mostly on topics around programming, programming languages, software engineering, and computing in general. But occasionally, even on other disciplines of engineering or even science. I mostly learn through examples and doing. And this place is a logbook of my experiences in learning something. You may find several things interesting here: little cute snippets of (hopefully useful) code, a bit of backing theory, and a lot of gyan on how learning can be so much fun.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Good Interfaces Is Good for Doing Good Experiments

Perhaps it's a truth that I spend so much effort in giving a professional structure and interface to the prototypes I make simply because I love doing it that way. But, I have seen that it does yield some practical benefits too.

In the couple of days I have spent as much time introducing elements of minimal usability, like command options, and complete end-to-end execution with a single command.

Now when I am actually collecting the experimental data, I am able to do it almost completely automatically using a simple perl script to invoke the tool with the right command line inputs.

Of course, the process involved in designing an automation of an experiment is fairly complex and requires insight regarding the requirement. What are the figures we are are trying to measure? This question may have significant effect on the manner in which the system under test is designed.

This blog will incorporate some of my findings at a high level from designing the experiments for my method.

In short, I was to draw comparison between a specification based regression testing method which I call 'explicit state space enumeration' or ESSE method and another method called 'Legal Random Calls' or LRC method.

No comments: